Heart Transplant Team
As a heart transplant patient at Tampa General Hospital’s Transplant Institute, you will be able to rely on a team of knowledgeable and caring professionals who are dedicated to making every step of the transplant process as smooth as possible.
Your main point of contact at the transplant center will be your heart transplant coordinator. He or she will relay information among you, your family, your care team, and your insurance payers throughout your transplant process, and is the person you should contact with any questions.
When you’re a heart transplant patient at TGH’s Transplant Institute, your team will include several medical specialists, including:
- A cardiologist, who will develop a treatment plan tailored to your needs
- A surgeon, who will explain your surgery and the associated risks before the procedure is performed
- A dietician, who will assess your nutritional health and provide instruction about a special diet you’ll be required to follow before and after your heart transplant
- A pharmacist, who will explain your prescriptions and their side effects
- An infectious disease specialist, who will check you for exposure to viral infections and determine your risk of infection after your transplant
Undergoing a heart transplant is an extensive process, and when you’re a patient in TGH’s Heart Transplant Program, we’ll make sure that you have the resources necessary to cope during this stressful time. Your transplant care team will also include a social worker who will meet with you and your family to make certain you have a proper support system in place, and to check on financial and insurance matters. Additionally, a financial counselor will help you through the process by working to obtain insurance authorization for your evaluation and the transplant surgery, as well as ensure that you have the financial resources to cope with post-transplant care.
Contact Tampa General Hospital for more information about our heart transplant program. Call 1-800-505-7769 (press 1 for the heart transplant program and ask for the referral coordinator), or call the coordinator directly at (813) 844-4088.