The Lung Transplant Care Team at TGH’s Transplant Institute
When you become a lung transplant patient at Tampa General Hospital’s Transplant Institute, you will have a team of knowledgeable and caring professionals assisting you throughout every step of the transplant process. Our lung transplant care team is dedicated to doing everything it can to help make your overall experience throughout the transplant process as smooth as possible.
After being admitted to the lung transplant program at our transplant center, your primary point of contact will be your transplant coordinator. Throughout the transplant process, the coordinator will relay information among you, your family, your care team, and your insurance payers, and is the person you should contact if you ever have any questions.
As a lung transplant patient at TGH’s Transplant Institute, you will also work with several medical specialists who will oversee your treatment and recovery. These individuals include:
- A pulmonologist, or lung specialist, who will work with other team members to create a treatment plan that’s tailored to your needs
- A surgeon, who will perform the transplant and also explain your surgery and the associated risks before the lung transplantation procedure is performed
- A respiratory therapist, who will assess your lung function before and after your transplant
- A dietician, who will evaluate your nutritional health and provide instruction about the special dietary requirements you’ll need to follow before and after your lung transplant
- A pharmacist, who will explain your prescriptions and instruct you on their use and side effects
- A psychologist, who will assess your emotional stability and coping skills
- An infectious disease specialist, who will check you for exposure to viral infections and evaluate your risk of post-transplant infections
Because a lung transplant is an extensive process, you will need to have appropriate financial and emotional resources to cope during this taxing time. For these reasons, your lung transplant care team at TGH’s Transplant Institute also includes a social worker and a financial counselor. Your social worker will meet with you and your family to make certain you have a solid support system in place as you go through the transplant process, and will also check on financial and insurance matters.
Your financial counselor will assist in the transplant process by obtaining insurance authorization for your lung transplant evaluation and the surgery, and by ensuring that you have the necessary financial resources for post-transplant care. Remember, as you go through the lung transplant process at our transplant center, be sure to let your transplant coordinator know if you have any questions or concerns.